It turns out names matter a lot—but you probably already knew that. What you may not know is how hemp seed oil and hemp oil differ.
Hemp Seed Oil
Like its name suggests, hemp seed oil is made from the seeds of the hemp plant, Cannabis Sativa. It has no THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) in it that could cause you or your pet to get the munchies while listening to the Grateful Dead. It does have some groovy benefits, though, that are very healthy for your pet.
- They soothe inflammation. Hemp seeds are full of essential fatty acids like gamma linolenic acid (GLA). GLA is the foundation for hormones called prostaglandins. Prostaglandins control inflammation and studies show they can reduce arthritis symptoms by 25%.
- Brain health. With their rich supply of all-important antioxidants and essential fatty acids, hemp seeds also reduce inflammation in the brain. They stabilize mood, reduce anxiety and protect the brain from degenerative diseases.
- Skin Conditions. Hemp seeds are good for your pet’s skin, especially when they’re shedding. They help reduce uncomfortable skin conditions like eczema, dandruff, rashes and atopic dermatitis that cause unbearable itching for your dog. They even help with dry nose. The essential fatty acids also help make your pet’s coat shiny and healthy.
- Heart health. Hemp seeds’ richness in essential fatty acids and antioxidants support your pet’s cardiovascular system helping them avoid age-related heart conditions.
- While research is ongoing, WebMD reports that hemp seeds also contain plant compounds called terpenes. Studies suggest that terpenes may help protect the brain and prevent tumor growth.
While hemp oil, aka CBD oil, has some similar effects on your pet that hemp seed has, it does offer its own brand of support for both humans and animals. CBD oil can have small amounts of THC in it at levels that are not harmful or psychoactive for your pet, but it’s always important to find a brand specifically for pets that you can trust. It is paramount to remember that, in higher amounts, THC is toxic to both cats and dogs.
Hemp oil is made from the stocks, leaves and flowers of Cannabis Sativa plant, and in addition contains cannabinoids and terpenes that have a broader effect on your fur kid’s body. While hemp seed oil is basically like an influx of healthy vitamins, hemp oil works on a different system in the body – the endocannabinoid system – and has wider therapeutic uses. While its function includes those mentioned for hemp seed oil, it can also help with pain relief, cancer treatment, digestion, appetite, nausea and seizures. In fact, it can excel at giving your much-loved canine a new lease on life where arthritis is concerned.
For more information on the best product for your pet, contact Tail Blazers.